Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember...





My mom came in to my bedroom and told me that I should come and see what was happening on t.v.

I walked into the living room and saw the utter chaos and confusion. I saw news announcers at a loss for words.

And then, I saw the second plane hit. I saw it on live t.v. I saw hundreds of lives taken before my eyes on live t.v. How can I forget where I was, what I was doing, who I was with?

I saw a great loss, I saw a moment in history that we will not forget. I was younger at the time and not able to totally comprehend the impact but I still felt the sting of the pain. My heart ached for those families.

After it set in, as much as it could, I really saw panic. All the way in Oklahoma people were panicking. We left to get gas because prices begin to sky rocket. We went to the store to buy canned food, bottled water and other basics because no one knew what would happen next. When we arrived at the stores the shelves were basically empty. It was hard to find bread, milk, eggs....

Everything ended up being ok. There were no more attacks. But a there was a deep wound that would take a long time to heal. A wound that would always leave a scar on America.

So, today I remember. I remember the lives of the Innocent and the hero. I remember because lives were taken unjustly. I remember because there are people grieving today. Grieving the deaths of their father, mother, son, daughter, sister, brother, grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, cousins, best friend....

Do you remember?


1 comment:

Beth said...

Yes, I remember. Saw a timeline of events last night, and relived the horror and despicable violence toward non-combatants from Islamofacism. We have to fight against it, and the first step is calling it what it is!

Nathan