Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Enough!

I know I just posted but I wanted to share a little of what God has been teaching me.

First off…the lesson is not one that came to me easily. It has been a hard lesson to learn and one that took longer than it should. It reminds me of something that Martin Luther King said, “Nothing will shake a man or at any rate a man like me…He has to be knocked silly before he comes to his senses.” Sadly, for me this is too often the truth.

The lesson comes to this. GOD IS ENOUGH!

I mean it! I have said it before and I have truly “thought” that I meant it but the fact is that I did not. It always seems as though I was holding back or holding on in a certain area. It is almost like I was saying, “God, you are enough as long as I can still have this.” Or maybe I would say, “God, you are enough but I need you to give me this.” Stupid, shallow, ignorant, selfish, prideful, fearful, call it want you want it was wrong. We have all heard people say, “If Jesus came and was willing to give 100% for you then why would you be willing to give anything less?” I have heard that so many times, and nodded my head in agreement as it was being said, but the fact is that I was not willing to give it all. The fact is that despite the greatest sacrifice of all time being made for ME I was still not willing to truthfully say, “God, you ARE ENOUGH!”

Well, lesson learned. Or should I say “being learned”. I am learning to say that. I believe that letting Jesus be enough is a big part of dying to myself. I know that I must die to myself daily. In the same sense I believe that I must allow Jesus to be enough for me daily.

I tend to want people in my life, particularly Britt now, to fill the void(s)or meet all of the needs that I have. The problem is that just like me he is human, and just like me he will make mistakes. I am learning more and more that Jesus Christ is my only constant. I knew this before but the knowledge alone did not mean that I understood it! I believe that I am at least beginning to understand it better. I feel as though now I can shout out, “YOU ARE ENOUGH!”

“And all of you is more than enough for, all of me, for every thirst and every need. You satisfy me, with your love and all I have in You is more than enough!”

That chorus means something totally new to me!